Saturday, June 1, 2013

We're Here!

After a crazy two days of traveling we're finally here in London! To be completely honest, it still doesn't feel real. I keep thinking I'll wake up in my own bed in North Carolina any minute!

After getting in from the airport, our Panrimo coordinator Geoff took me and one of my roommates, Taylor, to our flat! We got the chance to walk around our area for a bit before our third roommate Shanda joined us. We are staying in a beautiful area of London. The locals have nicknamed it "Little Italy" because we are very close to a canal! It is so residential that you don't feel like you're in the middle of the hustle and bustle of the big city and all the tourism. 


After doing some grocery shopping at the Tesco Express down the street, we went out for dinner and found a cute little restaurant and bar! Most people say that the US and UK are a people separated by a common language. While we've already found this to be true, I can also say we're much different than I had thought in the area of food. I got a really good burger at the restaurant, but only because it was the only thing on the menu I recognized! We're going to have to do a little more research and exploring to get used to the food here! Then we returned to our flat and tried to stay awake as long as possible. One thing we've realized is that the days here are long. It was still light out at 9pm when I went to sleep and I was awoken by the sun and the birds at 4:30! So far we haven't seen the normal weather of clouds and rain. I hope it stays sunny!

Today is our orientation day with Geoff. We're going to learn about navigating the buses and the underground, the best way to use our phones and other things to help us figure things out here. We're all feeling a little jet lagged but we're excited to learn and maybe even get a little shopping in this afternoon! We start our internships tomorrow and I'm really looking forward to meeting the people I'll be working with for the next two months! It's been an exciting few days and we're itching to go exploring. I can't wait to see what the next two days will bring. 

Cheers! 

No comments:

Post a Comment